Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Crowded New York





I had a lot of trouble getting started with creating a concept to run with for this assignment, but I think I fell on a fun and interesting series I will call "Crowded New York". I'm not a curmudgeon or a person that thinks that a good life is to have a lawn and live in a sequestered cul de sac suburb so I feel I can come up with some light hearted drawings illustrating feeling crammed in New York.





I just moved from an apartment in Park Slope that was so small I couldn't cook anything more than a single dish at a time and had nowhere to place my dishes to dry. I was always afraid that an overzealous jerk of the arm would send my elbow through the drywall. I also had a friend who lived in the Lower East Side in the early 90's who had a bathtub in his kitchen/living room. He used to set out a plank of wood over his tub to eat on.



I don't freak out on subways very often. I have lived in New York for too long and the crunch is what I moved here for but sometimes the casual behavior of some people in public places still astonishes me. I would like to infuse those nuances into this drawing in order to make it less generic and homogenized.

No comments:

Post a Comment